The church of Agios Theodoros
The church is built on the west side of the
village and near the bank of the river that passes
through the village. The exact date of its construction
is unknown but some holy icons which are placed
on the iconostasis give us the clue that the
church was built around the 18th century.
The church of Agios Theodoros Stratilatis is
quite simple, its form is rectangular and its
roof is wooden. Its capacity is around 150 people.
It is stone made and the width of the external
wall is one meter. Thirty years ago the church
was expanded. The bell tower is tall with arches
and it has only one bell which is not electronic.
The yard of the church is very small. The floor
on the southwest side of the yard is paved and
on the northeast side it is cemented.
The church is very simple in the inside. It
has no wall paintings and the iconostasis is
simple and made of pinewood. The iconostasis
has two gates: the central one and the north
(right) one. The four out of eight icons which
are placed on it are very old and the other four
are recently made. The old icons were made around
1890. The psalters and the despotic throne of
the church are wooden, simple and recently made.
It has no gallery for the women. The church is
divided into two parts: the sanctuary and the
The icon which is dedicated to Agios Theodoros
Stratilatis is placed on the iconostasis with
all the other icons and it has an important archaeological
The feast day of the saint is on 8th February
and the entire community honors his memory with
a service and procession of his icon. On the
feast day of the saint the eparch of Morphou
is always at the service.